Do You Need To Protect Your Disabled Or Vulnerable Loved One?
Whether due to age, disability or other factors, if your loved one is not able to care for themselves, you may consider guardianship. As a guardian, you can help protect your loved one by making medical, legal and financial decisions on their behalf.
Fay, Farrow & Associates P.C., attorneys understand the complex legal requirements of guardianship. We can evaluate your case and ensure you make a wise decision about your family’s future.
What Is Guardianship?
Legal guardianship, which is very different from adoption, is a legally binding court order that assigns the responsibility of caring for a child, adult or senior to an accountable adult. In many cases, guardianship becomes necessary as the result of a marital dissolution. However, the need for guardianship is caused by other factors as well. There are usually three situations that create a need for legal guardianship.
These situations include:
- Deteriorating health or mental capacity of a senior resulting in the inability of the senior to adequately care for themselves
- Mentally handicapped adults who cannot care for themselves
- A minor who lacks an adequate caregiver
You need to be aware, however, that if you are seeking the guardianship of a minor that the courts will always make a decision based on the best interest of the child.
Guardianship Considerations And Responsibilities
There are many things you to need to assume responsibility of as a legal guardian, such as:
- Living arrangements (room and board)
- You become responsible for the education of your ward, if applicable
- You acquire the responsibility of health care for your ward
- You must have permission from the courts to make nursing home arrangements for your ward
If you live in the greater Chicago area and want to explore your options regarding legal guardianship, feel free to contact Fay, Farrow & Associates P.C. With our attorneys’ 95 years of combined experience helping families, you can rest assured that you are in good hands.
Finding An Accountable Guardianship Attorney
We understand the intricacies of family law and can protect your loved ones by helping you appoint or acquire legal guardianship. An initial consultation is completely free, so you have nothing to lose by picking up the phone.