1730 Park Street, Suite 109,
Naperville, IL 60563

Call for a FREE Initial Consultation


Can I Contest a Parenting Time Arrangement?

 Posted on March 01, 2018 in Child Support

When parents of a child are separating or filing for a divorce, they must come to an agreement regarding how time with their child will be shared. Illinois courts refer to this as “parenting time,” with 750 ILCS 5/600 distinguishing parenting time from significant decision-making responsibilities, explaining that parenting time is the time during which a parent is responsible for exercising caretaking functions in regards to a child. Separating parents must create a parenting plan that addresses parenting time.

Of course, you may not agree with your soon-to-be-ex-spouse’s proposed parenting plan and time-sharing agreement and may want to contest the proposal. You may also want to contest a court’s decision to award parenting time in a manner that you find unfit or unfair. Here’s what you need to know–

Contesting Your Spouse’s Proposed Parenting Plan

If your (ex) spouse presents you with a parenting plan that you do not agree with, it is your right to contest it. Typically, this is done in out-of-court mediation with a neutral third party, where you and your child’s other parent will attempt to work together to create a parenting plan with a time-sharing arrangement that works for everyone.

In the event that the mediation attempts fail and an agreement regarding time-sharing cannot be reached, the issue may go to court, where it will be decided by a judge.

Contesting a Court’s Parenting Time Decision

You have the opportunity to present your case to the court and advocate aggressively for your side. If the court ultimately issues a parenting time decision that you do not agree with, however, there are still two avenues for contesting it: motion for reconsideration and appeal.

A motion for reconsideration is always the first thing you should do before filing an appeal. A motion for reconsideration simply asks the court to reconsider its ruling and allows you an opportunity to explain why you think the court was wrong.

In the event that a motion for reconsideration fails to yield the outcome you’re hoping for, you can file an appeal.

Both options above–filing a request for reconsideration and filing an appeal–are legally-intensive processes that should not be pursued without legal counsel. It should also be noted that extending a child custody case can be expensive, costing thousands of dollars in court and legal fees.

Our Naperville Attorneys Are Here for You

Ideally, you will not have to contest a parenting time arrangement because your original case will be settled in a manner that is agreeable to you. To improve your chances of this, working with an experienced Illinois child custody attorney is strongly recommended. At the offices of Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C., we have years of experience representing clients in Naperville, Downers Grove, Lombard, Lisle, Aurora, and Wheaton, and are prepared to review your case today. Contact us now to learn more.

Share this post:
Back to Top