1730 Park Street, Suite 109,
Naperville, IL 60563

Call for a FREE Initial Consultation


FAQs About Child Support in Illinois

 Posted on March 01, 2016 in Divorce

If you are an unmarried or soon-to-be-divorced parent of a child in Illinois, some of the questions that are at the top of your mind are surely who will be responsible for paying for child support, and how much will be owed each month. The child support attorneys at Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C. can help guide you through everything you need to know about child support payments in Illinois. In the interim, here are answers to a few FAQs about child support:

Which Parent Will Be Responsible for Making Child Support Payments?

Which parent will be responsible for making child support payments is one of the most commonly asked questions. Typically the parent who has a greater amount of parenting time with the children receives child support payments. In some circumstances, the payment of child support from one parent to the other may be reserved.

How Much Will I Have to Pay?

The parent with less parenting time is responsible for paying a minimum percentage of their net income to the other parent for child support. The percent that you will have to pay will increase for the number of children for which you are paying, i.e., you may have to pay 20 percent of your income for one child, but 28 percent of your income for two children. In situations where both parents have equal parenting time, both parents might pay the other the guideline percentage of child support, which may or may not cancel out any obligation to pay support directly to each other.

How Do I Make a Child Support Payment?

Typically payments of child support are withheld from the payor’s pay check and sent to the Illinois State Disbursement Unit. Direct payments to the State Disbursement Unit can also be made. You can pay via check, or you may submit your payments electronically.

How Can I Change My Child Support Order?

Many parents run into a dilemma – usually that is related to finances – that necessitates the change of a child support obligation. In order to change a child support order, you must request a modification review. During a modification review, a court will consider whether or not there has been any significant changes that warrant a child support modification.

What Happens if I Do Not Pay Child Support or Do Not Receive Child Support?

If you do not fulfill your child support obligation, there are legal consequences. Similarly, if you do not receive your child support payment on time, there are legal remedies. The law holds that a person is required to make child support payments on time and in full – if a person does not do this, the Illinois Department of Child Services may intervene or the payor may be held in contempt of court. The wages of the delinquent party may be garnished, bank funds may be garnished, and civil penalties may be assessed.

How Can a Lawyer Help Me?

If you have questions about child support orders in Illinois, it is best to consult with a skilled Illinois child custody lawyer. When your future and the future of your child is on the line, meeting with a professional can provide you with guidance and clarity. At Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C., we are ready to get to work on your case today. Call us now for a free consultation at 630-961-0060.

Share this post:
Back to Top