1730 Park Street, Suite 109,
Naperville, IL 60563

Call for a FREE Initial Consultation


How Can I Change My Child Custody Schedule?

 Posted on June 01, 2017 in Divorce

The parenting time plan you and your child’s other parent agreed upon when you divorced may not be right for your family forever. A few years down the road, your children are older, they may be participating in different activities, and you may have an entirely different work schedule. It is not surprising that you – or the other parent – may need to make adjustments to your parenting time schedule. To learn more about modifying parenting time and responsibilities in Illinois, contact the DuPage County parenting time lawyers of Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C.

Modify Your Parenting Time by Agreement

If you and your child’s other parent agree it is time to alter the parenting time arrangement, then you have every right to create a new schedule. If you plan to change the schedule considerably, then you should contact an experienced parenting time attorney. When there is a current parenting time and responsibility order in place, it is best to have the changes approved by the court, otherwise your agreement is not enforceable in court. An experienced attorney can help you work out the kinks in a new parenting time agreement and get through the court process smoothly.

Ask for a Modification in Court

If you want more parenting time yet your child’s other parent does not agree to a new plan, then you may want to seek a modification in court. You will have to file a petition in court and serve the other parent. You may go before a judge immediately or you and the other parent may be ordered to try mediation first. If mediation does not work, then you will have to present evidence to the judge that it is in your child’s best interests to change the schedule. The court will look at a number of factors, including how long the current arrangement has been in place, how circumstances have changed, and what is best for your child. You should speak to an experienced attorney about when an Illinois court is most likely to grant a modification and whether it is likely in your situation.

Contact our DuPage County Parenting Time Lawyers for Help

If you want to make adjustments to your current parenting plan, contact Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C. today.

Share this post:
Back to Top