1730 Park Street, Suite 109,
Naperville, IL 60563

Call for a FREE Initial Consultation


Legal Protection in an Abusive Relationship

 Posted on February 01, 2019 in Orders Of Protection

Being involved in an abusive relationship can be an emotional rollercoaster, and one that leaves you feeling confused, sad and scared about your future and your safety. If you are in an abusive relationship, taking action to protect yourself, even if doing so is challenging, is recommended. At the law offices of Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C., our domestic violence lawyers can help you to understand your right to seek legal protection if you are in an abusive relationship. If you are at risk of imminent harm, seek shelter and call 911 – then, call our law firm for legal counsel you can trust.

Legal Protections for Victims of Domestic Abuse

The website of the Illinois Attorney General details the rights of domestic violence victims, explains that domestic violence is a crime, and defines family and household members (those who have the right to seek domestic violence protections) under Illinois law. According to the law, a person may seek protection from another who is guilty of domestic violence even if they are not living together if the two people are dating, are engaged, or were dating or were engaged. This protection applies to same-sex couples, too.

If you are in an abusive relationship, you may seek a domestic violence order of protection. This is a type of legal protection that prohibits the abusive party from doing certain things, including:

  • Threatening or abusing you;
  • Entering a shared residence if using drugs or alcohol;
  • Approaching you at school, work, or other places that you frequent;
  • Taking your (shared) child;
  • Carrying a firearm; and
  • More.

A domestic violence protection order can also give you temporary custody of children and possession of shared property, such as a shared residence. It may also require the abusive party to attend counseling.

How to Get a Domestic Violence Order of Protection

In certain cases, an order of protection may be issued by a criminal court following the arrest and prosecution of a domestic abuser. However, you can receive a domestic violence order of protection by filing a petition in civil court. You can file the petition on your own by visiting your local circuit clerk’s office or meet with an attorney who can assist you in the process. If you are married or have shared children or property, working with an attorney is recommended, especially as you may need to navigate other family law issues, such as filing for a divorce.

Our Lawyers Are Here to Help You

Being a victim of violence in a relationship can be terrifying, but you are not alone, and you are not without options. At the law office of Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C. our compassionate family law attorneys can help you to pursue legal protection from abuse, and understand your rights and options regarding domestic violence. Please reach out to us today for a consultation and the help you need.

Share this post:
Back to Top