1730 Park Street, Suite 109,
Naperville, IL 60563

Call for a FREE Initial Consultation


My Child Does Not Live With me or Their Other Parent. What Should I do?

 Posted on June 01, 2017 in Divorce

There are instances when your child may end up living with someone other than you or their other parent. This can happen when your child prefers to live with a grandparent, aunt or uncle, or adult sibling. It may happen when the other parent is no longer able to care for your child. Many families make informal arrangements like this. However, if you are paying child support to the other parent, then your support might not be going to the right place. To learn about your options, contact the experienced family law attorney from Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C.

When your child lives with another adult besides you or the other parent, then you may want to return to court to obtain authority for decision making and parenting time. Courts prefer children to live with one of their parents whenever possible. If the other mom or dad cannot take care of your son or daughter right now, then you have the right to seek all or a majority of parenting time and responsibilities. The judge will look at the best interests of your child when deciding on each of your parenting responsibilities and time.

However, if you are happy with the arrangement and believe it is best for your child, then you, the other parent, and your child’s current caretaker may want to go to court to formalize the situation, depending on the situation. To ensure your child’s caretaker can get your son or daughter medical care and an education, that person may need to become your child’s legal guardian.

Call our Experienced Child Related Issues and Child Support Lawyers Today

It is not uncommon for children to live with other family members or family friends. It may be the best place for your child. However, if you are paying child support to the other parent who is not currently taking care of your son or daughter, then the support arrangement may need to change. Your financial support should go to where it benefits your child.

For more information about your legal options, call the DuPage County family law attorneys of Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C. at 630-961-0060.

Share this post:
Back to Top