1730 Park Street, Suite 109,
Naperville, IL 60563

Call for a FREE Initial Consultation


My Child’s Mother Denies He Is Mine. What Can I Do?

 Posted on May 01, 2017 in Divorce

Becoming a father is an equally amazing and terrifying experience. You and the child’s mother are suddenly responsible for another living being. Unfortunately, this experience is more stressful than necessary when there are questions regarding paternity. If you are a situation in which you are sure you are the father of a newborn yet the mother denies it, contact a DuPage County attorney at Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C.

Sign Up With the Illinois Putative Father Registry

Illinois has a registry for men who believe they may be fathers yet have not legally established paternity. You can register before the birth of the child or within 30 days of his or her birth. Once you are registered, if the mother attempts to place the child for adoption, you will receive notice and can go to court to defend your paternity and seek custody of the child. If you believe an adoption is within your child’s best interests, you can state this in court as well. Signing up for the registry ensures you have a say in your child’s future.

You Need to Establish Paternity

If you believe you are a child’s father, you might need a DNA test to prove it. In many situations, a mother is willing to go through with this test without court involvement. However, if she is not cooperative, then speak with an attorney. We can help you file a petition in court to establish parentage. The court can then order a DNA test the mother must comply with. If the test results show you are the father, then the court can declare you the child’s legal parent, giving you the right to be added to the child’s birth certificate. Next you can ask the court to establish parenting responsibilities, parenting time, and child support.

Asking for Parenting Time and Responsibilities

If you want to have time with your child and the power to make decisions for him or her, then you will need to petition the court for parenting time and responsibilities. You and the mother have the option to work out a plan for yourselves, which would then be presented to the court for approval. If you two cannot agree on a plan, then the court will determine decision-making powers and parenting time based on the child’s best interests. Even if the mother is granted all or a significant amount of parenting responsibilities and you are not, you still have a right to a reasonable amount of parenting time.

Contact Our DuPage County Father’s Rights Attorneys for Help

If you need a DNA test to prove you are a dad, contact Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C. at 630-961-0060. We can help you establish paternity and get times with your child.

Share this post:
Back to Top