1730 Park Street, Suite 109,
Naperville, IL 60563

Call for a FREE Initial Consultation


Will My Ex Get My Economic Impact Payment (Stimulus Check)?

 Posted on April 01, 2020 in Divorce

Updated April 3, 2020.

The Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service are currently working to provide Americans with an economic impact payment as part of the $2.2 trillion economic relief package recently signed into law.

The IRS announced that the majority of people who have a bank account on file would receive their payment via direct deposit starting in the next few weeks. The amount you receive depends on your AGI on your 2019 tax returns. If you did not finish filing your 2019 tax return, the IRS would use your 2018 tax return.

What Happens If I Don’t Have Access To The Bank Account On File?

Individuals who recently divorced may have a bank account on file that now belongs to their ex-spouse. Alternatively, the bank account the IRS has on file may be a martial account that you no longer can access.

The Treasury Department is developing a web-based portal for people to update their bank account information. However, the exact details for how to ensure that you receive your payment, instead of your ex-spouse, is unknown. If your ex-spouse receives your payment, the resolution of that issue may fall under the jurisdiction of the domestic relations court.

I Owe Back Child Support. Will I Get My Stimulus Check?

When support payors owe back child support, and the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services advises the State of Illinois and the IRS of the arrearage, your tax refunds may be garnished. When this happens, the funds may be sent to the support recipient.

At Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C., we are helping assist our clients in ensuring that they obtain the stimulus payment that they are entitled to receive. If you have a concern about receiving your stimulus payment, we invite you to contact our Naperville office today. Please call 630-961-0060 or send our team an email message.

Share this post:
Back to Top